Old September 28th 06, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Martin Linklater

Default I seriously doubt Xbox 360's ability to do 1080p

On 2006-09-28 18:54:49 +0100, "AirRaid Mach 2.5" said:
this question and non-answer was especially telling

IGN : Does the Xbox 360 have the internal bandwidth between CPUs and
graphics processors necessary to move a full 1080p image? There's a big
difference between 1080i and the 3GB/s of 1080p.

Microsoft: No Comment.

3GB/sec is a trivial bandwidth for CPU-GPU hardware. That's not a
problem at all.

...................it doesn't matter what cables are (VGA, component,
HDMI) if a machine isn't capable of rendering true 1080p native
resolution to begin with........

I question the ability of the Xbox 360 to do true 1080p knowing the
bandwidth constraints.
the main external bandwidth in Xbox 360 is pretty low (22.4 GB/sec)
the internal bandwidth EDRAMProcessing Logic of the second graphics
chip is very high (256 GB/sec) but that might not
help the Xbox 360 hit 1080p.

I'm not an XBox360 dev but I'd say the major problem for the getting
the 360 to do 1080p in games will be graphics mem. Bandwidth is
something the 360 has plenty of. Once you up your screen buffers to
1080p you need a serious amount of graphics memory - 8MB for colour
buffer, 8MB for 32bit Z-buffer.

Now I'm not sure about how clever the 360 GPU is and whether it does
fancy tiled z-buffer stuff, but you can rest assured than any new title
which wants to use proper 1080p in game is going to have to make some
sacrifices somewhere. The 360 only has 10MB of 'proper' graphics
memory, so there are going to have to be some clever multi-pass or
tiling techniques needed to get 1080p in game. MS do seem to have been
able to coax 1080p out of the graphics chip but that doesn't mean that
it can do it without a fair few compromises.

As for HDMI I doubt the 360 has the encryption logic onboard to support
the standard. There's nothing stopping MS producing a new 360 with an
HDMI connector, but I seriously doubt you'll see an HDMI connector for
the current hardware.

But like I say, I'm not privvy to the internal developer info regarding
the 360, so I could ba talking rubbish...

--
Gamertag: FizzyChicken