Old June 18th 04, 02:25 AM
Pen

"Jure Sah" wrote in message
Hello,

I am the perhaps very troubled, owner of a Cyrix system.

The old config had 32 megs of EDO ram, a decent motherboard and a broken
cooling fan.

Considering the broken fan, and the fact that the system was severely
out of order, I have tried to rebuild the system.

However, stroke of bad luck #1, the CMOS battery had died. Ok problem
quickly sorted, replaced it with a one from a functioning system.
Managed to boot to Windows 98 but nothing happened beyond that. =P

snipped
I have configured all the memory configs in BIOS to maximum compatibilty
to no avail.

I have read up on the issue via google and while most people have
noticed that the problem is: 1. Caused by improper power supply or, 2.
Too high temperature. And while I can pretend it is not very obvious, it
is true that it's not actualy documented anywhere, but is Thermal
Throttling supported by Cyrix????

I would like to try turning off those features and giving it a try but I
don't want to scortch it. =P

I know it's something in the BIOS configs because it only stopped
working after the BIOS had reset to defaults. Which settings should I
set to what first?

Cyrix processors did not have thermal throttling. They did have
systems management, but that was activity related. Is the heatsink
firmly attached, is the fan working? It's unclear if you replaced
the fan. You should if you didn't.