Old July 23rd 03, 12:18 AM
Keith Clark

Steven wrote:

I just upgraded to a gainward Ge-Force Fx 5200, 128mb, 8X AGP. And my
computer freezes a lot, usually when I'm playing games, like battlefield
1942, or Unreal tornament, but it also freaquently freezes when I'm watching
movies too. I've tried the driver that windows XP suggested and then tried
the latest Detonator dirver 44.03. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled,
and nothing has helped.
Does anyone have anyone suggestions?
What is a WHQL driver, is it different from the detonator?

Thanks

WHQL is a test suite from Microsoft. Having a "WHQL driver" means that it has
passed the test suite both at the vendor and at Microsoft and is fully certified
by Microsoft. Such a driver "should" in theory be the most widely compatible. I
did a quick search and came up with this description :

http://www.altsoftware.com/newsletters/whql.pdf

How many watts does your power supply handle? Is it at least 350 watts? These
cards require a lot of power especially when playing games.

One test I would do is monitor the power supply voltages while starting up a
game. See if the voltage sags while playing. That would indicate a too weak
power supply.

Hopefully someone else will have a better idea...

--Keith