Old October 21st 04, 05:14 PM
Dave C.

Thanks, Dave. So you don't think I need to worry about the heat issue?

I think it's overblown. I'm running a 3.0E Prescott (two of them, in
fact). Haven't seen either one hit 120F yet. I'm not using stock coolers,
though. One has an all-copper heatsink Speeze brand cooler with stock
thermal compound. The other has a Cooler Master heat sink with a blower
instead of a fan (aero 4 lite?, something like that). Before I changed the
thermal compound (due to a mainboard failure), the 3.0E on my wife's system
never hit 100F. In fact, for a long time, the SYSTEM temperature was higher
than the CPU temperature!!! (though both were well within normal range, and
not far above room temp.) The thermal compound I'm now using (artic
alumina) is not as effective as the original waxy stuff that came from
Cooler Master. Still, this CPU has been stressed hard and has not hit 120F
yet.

I'd have to conclude that the heat issues are caused by improper cooling, as
the Northwood core processors have normal operating temperatures higher than
what I've seen with the Prescott core processors I'm using. And yes these
CPUs have been stressed hard using various burn-in type programs and the
systems have been left on for days straight. I can't seem to do anything to
get these processors even slightly WARM, let alone hot.

In short, WHAT heat issue? -Dave