Old October 30th 07, 02:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil[_9_]

Default Any reason to NOT get a use Proliant DL580?

"Rick F" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 28, 12:53 am, "Jez T"
wrote:
900Mhz = DL580 G1.

Don't hold your breath on a reduction in power consumption. Rather, work

out
how much it will cost you to run over the lifetime of the server and

compare
that against the cost of the alternatives.

I run a home-built PC at home for all the server stuff I need...

Thanks Jez.. I think I'll probably pass on this one and opt for a
faster machine
if one comes along so the increase in cpu performance will be larger.
One reason
I really love the Proliant's is how rock-solid they are.. I get almost
no downtime
with these machines -- they really are rock-solid!

Rick,
The DL580 is a light-year past the 6400. The 6400 has the fans screaming
full blast, the 580 when you load the software drivers has proportional fan
control, varies based on temperature.
It's just a more advanced machine. We still have a bunch that haven't been
retired yet, all Quad 900. It's not a 3 gig machine but it gives us a level
of reliability that you don't get with the new ones. We have had 0 failures
in the 580's
Phil.