Old June 20th 16, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Allan Herriman

Default Corsair magnetic levitation fans (maglev fans)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 06:43:22 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

Hello,

I find this a very interesting product:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cor...vitation-fans-

gpu,31977.html

It claims that it's fans "levitate".

Does this mean it no longer requires any oil and thus no more cleaning
because of dust+oil+black smoke stuff frictions ?

I consider this a major breakthrough, now PCs won't require any more oil
to function.

Perhaps oil to produce them, but after that, no more oil needed LOL.

Such a re-assurance ! Really it's very nice to know. In case the oil
runs out some day ! LOL.

I've been designing Sunon maglev fans into rackmount comms products for
years. I could check with production here, but off the top of my head, I
don't think we've had a single field failure (vs a lot of field failures
for the cheap sleeve bearing fans that we used in earlier designs).

Caveat:
Until the fans "fly" they are just like crappier-than-normal sleeve
bearings.
Expect lots of wear below a minimum RPM (that I don't think is specified
in the datasheet, although they may specify a minimum voltage or PWM duty
cycle).
Start and stop cycles will also cause wear.

So be careful about your thermal management software - you might need to
disable some of the software features that slow the fans right down or
turn them on and off cyclically. Those are features you want for a
sleeve or ball bearing fan, but not for a maglev fan.

Regards,
Allan