Old April 16th 04, 01:00 PM

Grativo wrote:
I just bought a Shuttle MOBO w/ Athlon 2700+ combo. The problem is that 90% of
the time when I hit the power button, the CPU fan and the MOBO power light up,
but I don't even get a post from the mobo. It does this even when I only have
the video card hooked up. 10% of the time it does post and boot up normally,
but it erases the FSB memory in the BIOS setting, and boots up at 100 Mhz FSB
setting. However, if I get into BIOS, it go back to 166 Mhz on reboot even if
I don't do anything and just exit. Anyone knows what is causing this? I've
exchanged the MOBO and power supply from the place I bought this at, and I
switched out the memory, but it still does this...I'm totally stumped...

Grativo

What happens if you press the reset button on the computer when it
fails to boot with power being turned on? (Leave the power on for this
test) There is a lead from the power supply that is used to reset the
logic on the MB. If the pulse from the PS does not occur fast enough
the MB logic will not reset and consequently not boot the computer.
Pressing the RESET button and getting the computer to boot would tend to
indicate this is where your problem might reside.

Many MBs set the FSB back to their default values when they fail to
boot as you describe. That part of the failure is not unusual.