Old June 10th 04, 02:50 PM
Dave C.

"Hamman" wrote in message
I chose to get the 74GB Raptor and the 250GB Hitachi as a backup and
file storage drive. I will create a 75GB logical partion on the
Hitachi to be solely used to back up the Raptor. The Raptor has a
five year warranty and the Hitachi a three year warranty.

This is the only part is disagree with. Theres been a lot of raptors going
bad recenty, if your looking at it for disk access performance, then get 2
identical 250Gb disks and run them on a RAID controller

Hamman

I gotta disagree with your disagreement. He said he wants backup. To
increase performance, you'd have to be running the RAID mode to use both
disks, instead of one being a mirror of the other. Thus you not only lose
your backup, but you double your chances of losing your PRIMARY hard drives,
as well. That's because if one drive fails, all the data is GONE on both
drives.

I'd suggest two cheap 7200RPM hard drives in the ~120GB range. Make these
two IDE format and preferably 8MB buffer. RAID these two for maximum
performance. Now buy a third hard drive that is SATA format, and buy as big
of a hard drive as you can afford. NOW you've got the best of both worlds.
Store your large files on the SATA drive. Frequently copy all your
important data files over to the SATA drive, as well. The motherboard he
chose should handle this setup quite well. -Dave