Old April 8th 08, 04:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default cloning doesn't work

"anyue" wrote in message

;798855 Wrote:
Peepz, I've got exactly the same issue. I am trying to install 3 PCs
for a customer and completely configured one; after that I figured I'd
ghost them to the other machines. However, it hangs at the login
screen, no error call, no nothing. I'm guessing some part of M$
security is griping about new hardware serials, because the hardware
by itself is identical. If anyone knows a quick fix, I'd be much
obliged...

To confirm licensing issue, if you put that "good drive" in the "bad
pcs" - same hang ?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&bt nG=Search
for lots of "how-to's" to do it using sysprep.

'Typically, administrators use a third-party program, such as Powerquest's
Drive Image or Symantec's Ghost, to create the cloned image. None of that
changes in Windows XP. XP includes a program, Sysprep.exe that prepares
the disk for imaging and creating security account information unique to
each machine. The first time a user logs on to a system that has been
deployed using Sysprep, a mini-Setup program runs. When the mini-setup
finishes, Windows XP generates a new user account and security identifier
(SID).'
Here's a good article about it:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5838633.html

" When you restart a computer from a cloned disk for the first time, two
events will occur. First, the Setupcl.exe file will start and generate a
new SID for the computer. Second, the Mini-Setup Wizard will start
allowing you to customize the computer. The mini-Setup program will prompt
the user for a new computer name and new administrator password. You can
also automate this event by creating and using a Sysprep.inf answer file "