Old May 16th 13, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DC[_4_]

Default solar flare resistant PC cases ?

On Thu, 16 May 2013 04:06:18 -0700 (PDT), BW wrote:

A friend of mine keeps his USB drives in biscuit tins, to protect
against a monster solar flare.
He said there were flares in 1859 and 1921 that would have crippled
lots of electronic devices, and there is a good chance of another
within our lifetime. And when it happens, banking and utilties would
crash, so you
might not be able to rush out a buy a replacement anyway.
So it got me thinking: how many devices are inside a metal box that
can shield them? I had at look at some PC cases. Obviously the wanky
gamer cases with perpex sides are out. And in many cases, the front
panel
is mostly plastic - covers for DVD or floppy bays, and a plastic mesh
air filter lower down.
So what cases have a front that is nearly all metal? And what of the
ventilation holes you see all over cases?
How small do the holes have to be offer protection?

0.000001 NM