Old July 29th 03, 06:33 AM
smh

Ric wrote:

Personally, I've just been using non-standard ISO formats (from RecordNow
max) when I need long filename support. However, I've recently been
revisiting old CDs and find that I can't read certain non-standard sessions
I had created years [ago], which at the time read fine. This is making me
reconsider the use of non-standard formats, out of the fear that at some
point in the future, my archives will no longer be compatible with my OS.

Puzzled by your use of "years" when you learned of RecordNow MAX only
one year ago:

=====================
From: "ric"
Subject: Anyway to overcome filename limitations?
Date: 7/9/02

I also gave RecordNow MAX a try. The ISO long format seems to be
what I want, assuming it works.
=====================

Were the unreadable cd's indeed burnt by RecordNow?

think the answer, is a well supported standard that includes long filename
support. From my understanding, the current implementation of UDF already
supports filenames to the same extent as the most common OSes do (Windows,
Mac, *NIX). Sadly, I've not found any software that implements this feature,
even though most of them support writing UDF formatted CDs. I'm unclear on
why this hasn't been a priority, but I'd much rather see a solid and
universal support of long filenames (it's really about time) than having
every audio, video editing feature thrown into a CD burning package. Extra
features are always nice, but a commitment to a solid core is even nicer.

Also puzzled with your "not found" software statement. InstantWrite
supports names up to 255 chars per the UDF standard. You learned of it
in the same thread I quoted above, and you even used it.
supported names up to 255 chars per the UDF standard.

Here's another post conforming InstantWrite supports names up to 255
chars:
From: louise
Subject: Best Packet CD Writer program?
Date: 5/24/02

I've ended up with Instant CD/DVD by VOB because its packet
writing allows for long filenames up to 255 characters.