Old March 24th 07, 07:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Yousuf Khan

Default Audio codec problem?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
SoundRecorder allows to open (File-Open...) and play a wav file.
Because of very old design, it will load the whole file into memory.
I remember in Windows 3.1, the whole system would get stuck when I
tried to load a particularly big file.

Interestingly, after I tried to open some of the standard Windows
*.wav files in c:\winnt\media, nothing came through, and then I looked
at the Device Manager and now there is a big yellow bang on the device
driver known as "Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer", which is
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys. Now no sound will come out, even
from Winamp and Quicktime. Will try reboot again now.

Okay, after rebooting, I tried again with the Sound Recorder and now it
works again. So all of the *.wav files played in Sound Recorder, and
tried them under WMP as well, and they played there too.

I'm starting to think that this is a DirectSound problem, because doing
some experiments in Winamp, you have the choice of output plugins in
there. There are two included drivers, a DirectSound one, and a Wave-Out
one. The player doesn't play if DirectSound is selected, but Wave-Out is
fine. Maybe I should reinstall DirectX?

Yousuf Khan