Old May 13th 19, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

Shadow wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Shadow wrote:
I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s

If there are any around, they're probably "End Of Line".

D-Link DSL-520B $55

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16825112008

(Ships from Canada, which means it's become extinct in the US. I did
see that page while I was searching)
Broadcom makes a lot of the SOC chips used in
products like that. If Broadcom no longer makes
the low end chips, then TPLink can't make cheap
modem boxes either.

TPLink Brasil no longer imports or assembles ADSL hardware.
Zero hits.

I found one offer he
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...te-thomson-_JM

Divide by 4 for price in dollars. US$ 15,00, must be old
stock. (they are unused, I wonder how long they last when not in use ?
Can the capacitors leak or dry up ?).

------------------------------------

I'll probably go with this one. Wish it didn't have antennas:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...mbps-preto-_JM

Just over US$ 30,00. Still produced. Reliable shop.

https://www.dlink.com.br/produto/rot...dem-adsl2n300/

D-Link still makes solid hardware, right ?
[]'s

For the DSL2740e, the chipset is a RealTek product. With no visible
RAM chip. I didn't even know RealTek made such things. The RAM
complement is 16MB, the flash 2MB.

https://ryan.com.br/blogs/quicktalk/...e/&prev=search

Properly designed electrolytic caps don't dry out instantly. They're
supposed to last for 17 years, based on the quality of the bottom seal.
Electrolytic caps where the pH is wrong chemically, eat through
the metal in a couple of years. And that's the "bad" electrolyte
formula.

Paul