Old May 13th 19, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

On Sun, 12 May 2019 16:15:45 -0300, Shadow wrote:

I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA

Me, too.

I've a couple new in boxes. Destined for the trash barrel.

It's the cost of business. People, some, can actually wipe their
butts with $175US here, so they'll pay that monthly for carrier fees,
apparently to turn around and tell you to your face it's good. (I was
reading one do precisely just that for a contributing writer to
ArsTechnica publications.)

Apart from the Golden Rule: He who has the Gold makes rules whatever,
it takes, the market will bear.

The subsequent marketing groan-point, last I looked, is $90 monthly
for relative trash, here today and gone tomorrow renters, and a likes,
with money but less certainty.

Certainty will get adjusted to $60 monthly for lowest of high-tier,
marketable service on WEB signal reliability.

Because it's always faster, better and newer.

(Just like everybody else, since the SIP Telcos ramroded the FTC into
placement for closer to a private domain, farther from a regulatory
nature of utilities such as electricity or water.)

No exceptions, pal. Not even big firemen with the bullhorns.

You first must prove, to government, you've a taxable income at
something below $17K/US yearly to qualify for housing project or
similar Internet Service rates of $30 monthly.

Disclaimer: All the above applies to the Urban Front, where there is,
ostensibly, at least a resemblance of a free market in competition.

Not to worry: The Few and Proud, the Controlling All Have's are now
interested in being perceived for a humanitarian front, so they say,
among such efforts as satellite providers may provide for a rest of
Have-Nots.

As for the modem, the Rule, as of course it always has been, is that
they prefer you do not -- but the $5 monthly fee, itemized in addition
-- for such a piece of crap, as is mine, as since replaced when
lightening fried their last model, six times the size of this one.

I now average about x15 faster, than my last ASDL, for twice rates,
among a highest charged in the world.