Old May 8th 19, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Better FLAC Player ? Fast, Good playlist, Low CPU ?

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/7/2019 5:17 AM, wrote:
Finally I'm fed up with VCL media player.

VCL Media Player's playlist feature has all kinds of issues,
permission issues, sometimes hard to use... sometimes player lags
while playing audio during gaming... tryed more buffering... also
seems to consume lots of CPU.

I'll google if something better is out there.

If you have a digital TV tuner, you can use the playlist as a remote to
switch channels. You will need a channels.conf!

Digital tuner operation via VLC only works in Linux.
Operation in Windows is broken and isn't likely to be fixed.

*******

In Linux, you can use "w_scan" to get a channel list and
frequencies for OTA broadcasts. You cannot expect VLC to
do antenna scans and build the list for you. VLC is not
Media Center. Once you have the channel list, other steps
will be a lot easier. Media Center bases its information
on the Channel Guide, and works from there, and the Channel
Guide only works properly when you find the incantation to
enable Digital Tuning.

Your tuner in Linux won't necessarily work if it needs a
firmware file. The firmware file for mine is not in the
Linux repository I use, but is available from the web
site of a private person, for download.

On the Windows side, I bought a copy of WinTV, which
took maybe ten days to ship to Canada, with a CD in the
CD mailer. They didn't do electronic purchase like you
might expect. It's snailmail and physical media FTW.
WinTV runs an Adobe Flash streaming server, and thus I
can watch TV on this machine, using a web browser and
pointing the web browser at the Test Machine which
holds the TV tuner card.

The overall WinTV experience is good, except the materials
should all have been in the box (including the Linux
firmware file, which is just extracted from the
Windows driver anyway). If you want to run a TV tuner,
have your Rocket Scientist credentials at the ready.
It took me about four days, before I could verify
the hardware was fully functional. I was pretty upset
by my purchase experience at that point, and would
have punched a Hauppauge staff member if one was
in reach :-/ But, I got the miserable piece of crap
running, eventually.

Your one sentence, means days of work to get it running,
if at all...

Paul