Old August 31st 03, 01:17 AM
kony

Default newbie - question about heat generated by computer

On 30 Aug 2003 15:48:25 -0700, (Talha) wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to install some new components in my computer, and i
noticed that the power supply going into my video card (radeon 9800)
touches the harddrive. is this safe? i thought harddrives generate a
lot of heat ... i did not install this card myself.

also the same thing i noticed with the dvd-rom ... power supply cables
are wrapped around close to it, and touch it a bit.

sorry if this is a silly question, but i heard some of these devices
can get really hot, especially hard drive .. mine is a 80GB Seagate
S-ATA btw.

Thanks!!

Generally speaking, power supply wiring is rated to 80C. If you have
very good eyes or a magnifying glass you may see very tiny characters
on the wires themselves.

Nothing in your computer should be as hot as 80C, so there should be
no problems from a heat standpoint. If the wire sheathing is worn or
the wires are in contact with a sharp edge that might cause wear,
cuts, shorts, then you have a different reason to reposition the
wiring.

Dave