Old December 8th 04, 04:57 PM
Mike Walsh

The memory slots are numbered with the lowest number being nearest the CPU or center of the motherboard. On most motherboards it does not matter which slots the memory goes. On older motherboards using SIMMs the highest capacity SIMM had to go in the first slot. With some motherboards that interleave DIMMs they must have matching DIMMs in particular slots for this feature to work. See your motherboard documentation for details.

Mike Mella wrote:

I just bought some new RD RAM for my Dell Dimension 8100 running WinXP.
Now I have 2 sticks of 256MB (the new ones), plus two sticks of 64MB
(there are 4 slots altogether). I have them all in right now, and the
machine detects the full 640MB of RAM.

What I want to know is, should I put the higher RAM in specific slots?
I guess each stick should be next to its twin, but does it matter which
slots each pair is in?

BTW, I don't see any numbers on the slots...

Thanks.
--Mike

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.