Old June 16th 17, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default wich one is better or faster?

Yrrah wrote:
"Cyberpoof" :

A Pentium dual core @ 2.2 ghz or a Pentium 4 @ 3.4 ghz...wich one should u
use for ur desktop?

Can you more specific?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...tel_processors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors

Games? Office? Multimedia? Video editing? Something else....?

Yrrah

Your link helped me narrow down at least one likely candidate.
The original question probably relates to some Joy Systems
refurbished off-lease machines. And the dual in that case
could be an E2200.

*******

On single threaded

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz 798
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 @ 3.46GHz 796

The IPC of the first processor, is about 1.5x the second
processor. Which is why the E2200 at 2.2GHz can do the
same amount of work as a P4 class processor at 3.46GHz.

That means the E2200 is like two Pentium 4 CPUs in a single socket.

On multi-threaded. the E2200 wins against its Hyperthreaded opponent.

Intel Pentium E2200 @ 2.20GHz 1203
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 @ 3.46GHz 905

The E2200 will also support more OS possibilities and
meet more software requirements.

Where they differ, is it's possible for a Pentium 4 era CPU
to be better at floating point. But that's not normally
separately benchmarked for our enjoyment. So that remains
a research topic. The IPC factor of 1.5x applies to integer
code, and integer code dominates a lot of user activity
(but not all of it). As soon as a say that, somebody will only
run off and find some FPU-only code for me to test :-)

Paul