Old November 14th 03, 09:55 AM
Howard Henry Schlunder

It isn't clear to me if you need a unique session ID number, or a =
permanent and unique ID number identifying the computer, but in the case =
of sessions, you can use the CoCreateGuid API function to create a 128 =
bit number which is assured to a high degree of probability to be =
completely unique accross the world for now and in the future weather =
networked or not.

Howard Henry Schlunder

"Michael Wittmann" wrote in message =
Hi folks,
=20
I have to write a Visual Basic 6.0 Program and need to uniquely =

identify a
computer in a network and the user mustn't be able to change that id =

while my
program is running. So the Volume Serial Number of the HDD isn't a =

possibility,
because you can set the Volume SN whatever you want and therefore it's =

not
unique in a Network. I heard that there's a manufacturer's Serial =

Number on the
HDD that can't be changed and that is unique (worldwide?). How can I =

get that SN
with VB6? Or do you have any other ideas? Like a BIOS SN?
=20
Thanks a lot in advance,
=20
Michael