Old April 16th 04, 09:22 AM
Damaeus

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, (John
Lewis) posted on Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:58:44 GMT:

I would suggest that for any wondering whether their existing
power-supply is sufficient that they check the Power Supply
label. If AT LEAST 18 amps at 12 volts, AND at least 350 watts
they should probably give the 6800 Ultra a whirl before rushing
out to buy a new supply. Anything less than 18 amps from 12
volts -- budget for a new power-supply, especially if you are
running a top-end CPU.

Well, I have a 500-watt power supply. I got it for future expandability,
and I guess I'm glad I did. I currently run two hard drives (I'll be
running three or four once I buy another IDE controller card) and two
CDRW drives (one with DVD capability) and the LiveDrive. No floppy.

I like having more than enough power. I haven't found one yet, but I
wish Antec would make a case with slots for multiple power supplies. But
then I'm not really sure that my battery backup would accomodate it.
With my current PSU and monitor, I've got my battery backup at a 45-46%
load. Those are the only two items I run -- the necessities. Sound,
scanner, printer, etc.... all run without battery backup.

Damaeus