Old April 15th 04, 05:20 AM
John Lewis

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:12:17 +1200, wrote:

Plus were are you going to put all the HEAT that this Crap card generate, as
it blows into the Case..

Please read my original posting again.

According to Tom's hardware the 5950/9800XT are about 90 watts max.
for the board.

According to nVidia, 110 watts max for the 6800 board. The NV40 chip
dissipates about 25 watts more than NV35/R350, the DDR3 memory a
little less than DDR1 ( 256Mbyte). Also, according to the Xbit lab
review, the 6800 fan never got to full speed in their test setup.
Anyway, you only need to get rid of 25 watts more heat. The power
supply requirement comes from the need for a very low power-line
impedance at the card, combined with the fact that there is a wimpy
12v supply on many sub-400watt power-supplies. Remember that the
fastest CPUs consume about 8 amps already from the 12volt supply.

Bad Bad Move..

Huh ? Do you want to wait for a 90nm or 65nm process
to be mature before getting this sort of performance ? That
is the only way to cut the power without cutting the
performance.

er.... I think that you will find that the max. dissipation of the
R420 will be very similar, if Ati volunteer to tell you at all........
No doubt Tom or Anandtech will measure it anyway...........

John Lewis

Preferably 4 "disk-drive" cables available from power-supply.
Two must be available EXCLUSIVELY for the 6800 Ultra.
( minor exception --- auxiliary fans are allowed to co-use
these cable feeds )

Power-supplies with only 3 cables will need some $2 splitters
on the third cable for the various disk drives --- not a real
problem, since their power consumption is very low.