Old March 5th 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom,alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.equipment
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Default Hum from phone wires running next to mains?

wrote in message

[snip]

: : I've seen cables, including CAT5, with both twisting
: : _and_ shielding around the whole cable assembly. I
: : don't know how much the effectiveness works together.
: : I have not had a case where I would consider using it.

That's STP (shielded twisted pair) and is not really worth it for most
applications. There is a military spec. for it somewhere, I believe.

It's also a different impedance to UTP so may not work correctly with all
equipment.

Ivor