Old January 25th 04, 08:03 AM
75475,451

Default How to avoid motherboard with bad caps? Go with Albatron?

This may be old news to many of you.

In considering a new motherboard, I remembered an article I stumbled
upon a few days ago talking about bad capacitors in motherboards
manufactured in the last two years. I just Googled the topic and found
some scary information. I have built three computers since 2002. One
with a Tyan Trinity 510, and two others with socket A, KT266a and KT333a
chipset, MSI motherboards. One was for a guy I worked with last summer.
He says it still runs fine. Hope it continues to run fine.

Anyway, the impression I got from the articles and postings I read was
that even highly regarded motherboard manufacturers fell into this
problem of using faulty caps. I won't name any of them, I'll leave that
to Google. But I will name one that claims to have avoided the faulty
capacitor issue, by insuring that they used the best capacitors made in
Japan, Albatron. I would never have thought. I saw how cheap they where
while searching on Pricewatch (I never really heard of Albatron until
I searched Pricewatch), and automaticaly considered them a stability
risk. I may take another look at what they have to offer.

Also in my reading, Intel was not mentioned as a manufacturer that may
have used faulty capacitors.

Is this a non-issue with recent dual channel Pentium boards, and
Athlon64/FX boards?

Ed