Old March 31st 16, 08:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

Default Hot Laser Printer

In article ,
Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote:

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote:

Besides the toner, the Samslung laser I had would heat the paper up so
hot
that it curled - amost too hot to touch when it hit the output tray.
A very small number of laser printers do that, the vast majority do not do
so
provided the user sets the driver up correctly.

Tony-

My problem is envelopes being sealed by the laser printer.

Envelopes printed on an old HP LJ 2605dn would stick, but the flaps
could easily be loosened.

Envelopes printed on a newer HP LJ Pro M451DN stick fairly tight. The
flaps can usually be pried open, but the envelope gets wrinkled and
sometimes it pulls up the surface of the paper.

I am printing from a Macintosh with the latest system. I looked through
settings in the printer's web server, but did not see anything that
might affect temperature.

Do you know of another way to adjust temperature? I am worried that it
might prevent toner from sticking to the paper if it was lowered too
much.

Fred

You cannot adjust the temperature on all laser printers but those where you
can
are controlled from the driver by selecting the media type (usually). Does
the
driver have an envelope media type? This may not be the smae setting where
you
tell the printer what size of paper is in the tray; it may be a different
setting where you tell the printer what type (not size) of media you are
using,
Also, make sure you use envelopes that are designed for laser printers (or
photocopiers), they have a higher temperature tolerance. If you select the
wrong "type" various things can happen like paper curling too much (common
with
smaller paper sizes because the grain runs the wrong way for instance). I
have
seen several printers ruined because people printed on to transparencies that
were not designed for use with laser printers.
Tony

Tony-

Thanks for your insight. I am using the "Envelope" media type in the
printer setup. I wonder which choice might use a lower temperature?
I'll look for something really flimsy!

In the case of things like transparencies, I am careful to purchase
media to match the printer. I was not aware that a similar choice was
available for envelopes! I'll check with the office supply store to see
if they have some specifically for Laser printing.

Fred