Old February 25th 05, 07:01 PM
Apollo

"Keith" wrote in message

"Apollo" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have been offered an old dell optiplex, P3 600MHz slot 1 with
a small HD, 2GB from memory, maybe slightly bigger.

I'm after some advice on fitting a larger HD, to use as a media
server. The service tag is; IYA1T, shipped 7/4/2000, but I just
seem to be going around in circles on the dell site and can't
find any info on HD sizes. I don't have the box here yet, so I
can't give much more info at the moment.

I'm not after anything huge, around the 40GB mark will probably
do. Will I see all of a drive this size or am I looking at a
32GB (or even lower) limit, bios is original and it's running
NT4.

Thanks,

Ian

Isn't coincidence a strange thing. I have just fitted a 40gb
hard drive in an identical machine and it works a treat. I
only found one problem throughout the entire job and that was
down to the graphics adapter. It seems to be fussy about which
monitor it works with. All four were bog standard SVGA, it
worked with two but not with the other two. I also found it
one of the easiest machines in which to fit a drive. Undo one
screw and the drive holder lifts and swings right out.

Thanks Keith.

I want to leave NT4 on it for a while, do you happen to know if
I'll have any mbr or other issues from cloning to a new drive.

--
Ian