Old February 25th 05, 06:59 PM
Apollo

"Pete" wrote in message
m...

"Apollo" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have been offered an old dell optiplex, P3 600MHz slot 1 with
small HD, 2GB from memory, maybe slightly bigger.

I'm after some advice on fitting a larger HD, to use as a media
server. The service tag is; IYA1T, shipped 7/4/2000, but I
just
seem to be going around in circles on the dell site and can't
find
any info on HD sizes. I don't have the box here yet, so I
can't
give much more info at the moment.

I'm not after anything huge, around the 40GB mark will probably
do. Will I see all of a drive this size or am I looking at a
32GB
(or even lower) limit, bios is original and it's running NT4.

Thanks,

Ian

Well, you could "compress" the drive. My honest advice is to go
for a new
machine, I guess you can keep your old monitor. That will be the
most cost
effective way to get a fast, quality machine. BTW, I like Dell
too.

I have a nice fast machine thanks ;-)

The dell box is to go under the stairs (headless) , purely as a
media server.

Thanks

--
Ian