Old June 24th 04, 11:16 PM
Mark

_P_e_ar_lALegend wrote in message

4) Should I even bother to flash the bios. I normally wouldn't consider
it unless I was having a known problem, but since the board was new
anyway and I didn't see 1009 out there I decided that 1009 must have
something really wrong and decided to do it.

The picture is now more clear for me: the only real problem in 1009 is the
integrated SATA bios. It's like if u build a strip with it, u can't use it
with other bios versions.

I did get this response from asus email support:

"...if you update bios to 1011 from 1009, you have to re-install a
clean windows because the built-in sata controller (Si3112R) ID
is changed in bios 1011..."

Of course I asked the same question to asus helpdesk after reading
in this NG that it gets a quicker response (which it did), but the
response was that I only needed to boot in safe mode because of
DMI information changing, then re-boot normally. I don't think
that would have fixed the "Inaccessible Boot Device " error
I get (I think that is the one) when I flash to Bios 1011.

1) Upgrade win2k to winxp

U can make a WinXP upgrade starting the setup from the WinXP cd and

I did boot from the WinXP CD and did not see an "upgrade" option
(only install over existing installation, or pick new directory).

I thought to "upgrade", you had to start the install from Win2K
(or Win98/ME etc.).