Old January 13th 19, 09:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Anti-virus for XP?

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:05:29 -0500, John B. Smith
wrote:

I just noticed, finally, that my Avast is 'no longer supported for XP
or Vista'. I'm looking for a free antivirus and it seems to be a tough
hunt. I finally downloaded something from Scanguard, but it's not
really free, just runs a scan for you, there's no real-time
protection. I wasn't able to make out what activating their real-time
protection was going to cost me. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

The multiple-suite protection industry scheme isn't as focused as was
with XP. They're still around, but that focus is dispersed over both
versions Windows 10 and 7, handhelds and their privacy and pretty much
everything else at issue. Real-time protection is more or less an
illusion subject to contingencies of what's being attempted with the
computer. I never ran with other than a scanner, you describe, but it
is free and it's called CLAMWIN http://www.clamwin.com/.

Very seldom do I use it. The rest is common sense, the most common, I
can offhand think of, as another already has mentioned, being a binary
OS backup;- They're out there to hurt and compromise, so it's as much
about watching your own butt;- Nobody "in the business" likes to say
it and see themselves in a mirror, but that's just what they do. And
we users, why and what and we do connected to the WEB, of course, is
no less than a mission of divinely inspiration.

People do tend, though, to place security above all else. And
Microsoft regularly rolls out security updates for only Windows 10, as
well do the independents in that line of business.

It's a complex field in a complex war. And a binary backup is only
the tip of that iceberg, where common sense is actually as much a warm
respite apart from not expecting to ever to get your feet wet
researching those cold and icy waters. Protection is, as I said, an
illusion from safeguards capable of running well enough without them;-
The rationale obviously being having to limit oneself, among contacts
and manners, perhaps, apart what suspicious WEB services have
blatantly crossed into a state of calumnious illegality.

They tend to hit common news, and hard, once they do, like Facebook,
so commoners can make sense of it. Some do. Some don't.