Old February 7th 04, 06:16 PM
Timothy T. Doran

Default WARNING -> Most ATI 9600XT Video Controllers Have Major Issues. . .

Don't buy an ATI 9600XT based video controller unless it is a genuine retail
ATI 9600XT, as most other "builders" using the 9600XT chipset have not
followed the reference design, used old PCB's that were "in stock" to rush
product out for Christmas holiday, and have not enabled the ATI "OVERDRIVE"
feature.

I too was "duped'" by C.P.Technology Co., Ltd. aka/dba in United States as
Power Color USA Corp. in purchasing a R96A-C3T in a new system I had built
by Future Technologies International, Inc. (FTI), Great Neck, NY about two
weeks ago, who is an "authorized" distributor/reseller" Power Color
products.

The cost to me between the Power Color R96A-C3T and a genuine retail ATI
9600XT was less than five dollars, but I went ahead with the Power Color
Product since it seemed to have a better bundle. I was not aware that there
were any differences in the cards, as Future Technologies International,
Inc. (FTI) web site (as do most other resellers) still to this day state the
fact that the Power Color R96A-C3T has "OVERDRIVE", as does C.P.Technology
Co., Ltd. Main web site, only in the last week has the Power Color USA Corp.
web site quietly removed the statement about the Power Color R96A-C3T having
'OVERDRIVE" ability.

The fact is that C.P.Technology Co., Ltd. aka/dba in United States as Power
Color USA Corp. had intended to commit willful fraud and deception on a
massive scale worldwide and in the United States.

C.P.Technology Co., Ltd. aka/dba in United States as Power Color USA Corp.
provided many hardware review sites with R96A-C3T that did have 'OVERDRIVE"
enabled, and all marketing material for the R96A-C3T received and
distributed (through January 2004) in the United States clearly reflected
that the R96A-C3T that did have the 'OVERDRIVE" feature.

C.P.Technology Co., Ltd. aka/dba in United States as Power Color USA Corp.
has demonstrated clear criminal behavior and their behavior should be
governed under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO)
Act, Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1961-1968 and would easily meet
the requirements of Rule 23, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to proceed
with class action suite.

ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario should be brought into this action
as they were well aware of C.P.Technology Co., Ltd. aka/dba in United States
as Power Color USA Corp. criminal behavior and general consumer fraud, and
decided to take no action on their own against C.P.Technology Co., Ltd.
aka/dba in United States as Power Color USA Corp. such as stopping the
supply of ATI branded material to C.P.Technology Co., Ltd. aka/dba in United
States as Power Color USA Corp.

All Power Color USA Corp. R96A-C3T customers should write the US Attorney
General, plus the Attorney General in the state in which they reside, the
local Better Business Bureau with informational copies of all correspondence
to C.P.Technology Co., Ltd., 7F-7, No. 79, Hsin Tai Wu Rd., Sec. 1,
Hsi-Chih, Taipei County, Taiwan 221, R.O.C, Power Color USA Corp., 15312 E.
Valley Blvd., City of Industry, CA 91746 and ATI Technologies Inc., 1
Commerce Valley Drive East, Canada L3T 7X6.

As an immediate remedy C.P.Technology Co., Ltd. aka/dba in United States as
Power Color USA Corp. should:

- Cease Selling All ATI 9600XT Video Controllers

- Remove All References From All Web Sites & Marketing
Materials About "OVERDRIVE" Except on ATI Video Controllers (9800XT etc.)
That Do have This Function Enabled.

- Pull All Stock of All ATI 9600XT Video Controllers
From Distribution, Warehouses and Retail Outlets

- Offer Immediate Restitution To All Affected Consumers
By Offering Either a Power Color 9600XT Video Controller With "OVERDRIVE"
Enable, An ATI 9600XT Video Controller, or even a 9800XT Based Video
Controller. This should be a quick "no-hassle" cross ship" process.

As an immediate remedy ATI Technologies Inc. should:

- Warn Their Partners That All 9600XT Based Products
That Differ From The ATI Suggested Reference Design or Have Features
Disabled Should Be Clear Marked On Exterior Of All Product Packaging, as
Well As All Promotional And Marketing Materials.

I want the monitoring ability not necessarily the ability to overclock, and
that is what I expected I purchased but only to find out otherwise.

Thanks,

Tim