Old November 1st 05, 04:14 PM
vellu

Default ~ONE ticked off mofo!!!!

RaceFace kirjoitti:
"vellu" wrote in message

42 doesn't sound that bad. Mine is around there right after boot, and
apart from one or two all are necessary for everyday use
(firewall/antivirus/spyware services, couple of monitoring/diagnostic type
programs on top of basic windows services and drivers) which are always
running no matter what I do. So why not benchmark with them on and get a
"real life" score. Of course, the best possible score is achieved with
turning some of them of. But to me that's not important; who cares what
the performance can be at that state, when the computer is never running
in that state.

42 processes? I have 26 running for everyday usage, including firewall,
antivirus, etc. You probably have a lot of stuff that's not necessary. By
default XP runs a ton of things no home user will ever need, some of which
can even make your system less secure.

Not really. Maybe one or two indifferent ones, but for the most part no;
sort of semi-server machine for a home-lan. High number of processes
alone doesn't necessarily mean a resource heavy system. Most of them are
idling anyway. Dropping some system services propably wouldn't change
the process count much anyway. No doubt some optimization could be done,
but I see no real reason to do so.

iirc, a plain vanilla winxp pro installation with absolutely nothing
else installed runs at about 35 processes (some of them indeed not
necessary). Add to that third party security programs, hardware drivers
(graphics, sound, printer, scanner) and some other minor things, and I'd
propably go over fifty.