Old September 7th 04, 02:40 AM
Dr Nick

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:36:26 -0400, Dr Nick
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:12:17 +0100, "Richard Dower"
wrote:

"Dr Nick" wrote in message
. ..

You were close with the board.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...915P%20Duo.htm

That is the board I have. The non-pro version. If you say there is
only one IDE connector why does the board have IDE1 IDE2 IDE3 slots
labeled? I'm not using RAID and dont plan too. I'm not using any
controller cards either.

The ICH6R has only one IDE channel, the other two IDE's are controlled by
the VIA VT6410 RAID controller.

Sounds like the IDE2 IDE3 slots can only be used for RAID purposes.
If thats the case I dont see how you could hook up any cdrom devices.
Since the IDE1 slot is specifically mentioned in the users manual for
hooking up IDE drives. So, you can use Xpress recovery.

You should be able to use the VIA controler in normal ATAPI mode, non RAID.

Did you download the drivers?;
http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Do...r_raid_via.exe

Did you enable the controller in the BIOS?, you should have an option to set
the VIA Controller to RAID or BASE?

A newer driver revision is available at VIA:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=310

You might need to enable the controller wthin BIOS and load the RAID drivers
during the F6 stage of a fresh install.

You have definitely pushed me in the correct direction with this
answer. One thing thats wierd tho is the RAID drivers that can be
loaded during F6 stage of windows install are too large to fit on a
floppy. How do I get them installed?

I also just tried booting with the gigabyte drivers CD instead and it
said my hard drive doesnt support HPA.

I dont see an option to set the IDE2 to ATAPI mode either.

So, since it looks like I'm stuck with RAID maybe you can answer this
question.

I have 2 IDE hard drives. First one is 30gb second is 80gb (both
maxtor) When I set up the RAID array I chose RAID 0. Will that
prevent me from using all of the availble space on both drives?

I'm not interested in data backup etc. Just the fastest speeds
possible with IDE drives. From the link you gave me it looks like I
will be able to use all space available on both drives.

BTW. I'm using Winxp Pro.

Thanx for your time and answers

well I just answered my own questions. If you use uneven sizes for
the hard drives you wont be able to use all the space on the drives.
I also noticed that I only have to copy the drivers folder on those
RAID files which you gave me a link for.

Thanx for the help.

Looks like this problem is solved.

MrGompers