Old September 10th 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Default Resurecting a ProLiant 3000?

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nut Cracker wrote:

Also, the memory is EDO EDD, not PC66 SDRAM.

Uhm, make that ECC, not EDD ... and its buffered.

oops

You had me scared there, for a minute. I had never heard of EDD (except
for that talking horse).

To get the full 3G, using this RAM, you have to (somehow) acquire 12
256M sticks. I have never been in the same room with a EDO of this
size. You just can't find them! I looked again on ebay, before posting
here, and could not find a single stick listed. IF you could find them,
I strongly suspect that you would have to pay twice the price of a
better PC100 stick of the same size.

The difficulty of finding these big sticks (of slower speed and poorer
performance) is reason enough to get that motherboard upgrade that we
have already talked about. As I said, I have three of these boards in
the garage...you will be surprised at how cheaply you can get one. I am
certain I have a matched pair of 450M processors...and possibly some
500's. I managed to get a good supply of 256M sticks for these boards,
meaning that I have a stack of 128's sitting idle. I can populate the
board with 8 sticks giving you a total of 1G of RAM (more than your old
motherboard). Pretty good deal...new motherboard, processors and memory
for the price of a case of Budweiser (plus shipping). I also have a 2DH
RAID Array Controller that I will throw in.

Contact me, by email, if you want me to get this package together.

Jeffrey Alsip

ack ! a 2DH??? why would you do that to this guy?

as for the 256M EDO ... here are some ebay links:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search

if the link trunks, just search on the following:

compaq edo 1GB

as always, its not a good idea to mix refresh speeds. I learned this the
hardway with my 6400r's

- LC