Old December 22nd 04, 07:41 PM
J. Clarke

John Russell wrote:

"Nicholas Buenk" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
RaceFace wrote:

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
Probably a couple more years.There are millions of AGP motherboards
out there
and they are still being made.

Hi all, nVidia, ATI and all other graphics cards, will produce AGP
cards
for
how many time?

I agree - it will be at least a year before other cards such as sound
cards,
network cards, and the like are out in PCIe format in any quantity. It
will be that long before there are even any graphics cards that will
utilize the
potential bandwidth of PCIe, anyway. There'll still be AGP cards
around for
a while yet. At least a couple years.

However new high performance motherboards that support AGP are going to
be
increasingly rare. Intel has dropped AGP support from their new
chipsets entirely and nvidia, via, and sis seem to be following their
lead.

Nvidia's PCI-E board really offers no more extra than PCI-E though.

Your right. PCI-e motherboards have to do everything using motherboard
chips which users may currently use PCI cards for, as PCI-e cards aren't
avaialble. And a significant part of that is "sound". So Nvidia ditch
soundstorm, whilst many Intel PCI-e motherboards are appearing with
hardware sound chips on the motherboard. I for one wanting PCI-e would
consider shifting to Intel completely if I got decent sound.

There are few motherboards that support PCI Express that don't also have
ordinary PCI slots. For the most part lack of PCI Express boards is not an
issue as yet.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)