Old April 18th 09, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default What about LCD monitors?

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 21:19:24 GMT, John Doe wrote:

| Any hands-on experienced opinions with LCD monitors? They are both
| lighter and more energy efficient?
|
| I have a 19 inch ViewSonic PF790 (middle to high end) old monitor that
| still looks great. It is big and heavy, but that is not an issue. What
| LCD monitor would match the picture and size of that monitor?
|
| How much better is 24 over 22 inch? What are the usable screen
| dimensions, width times height?
|
| Thanks.

I got rid of a 21" ViewSonic for a 19" 4:3 NEC LCD. The pic is much better on
the NEC and is only very slightly smaller than the visible pic area on the
ViewSonic. I've since moved the NEC to my second system and bought a 24" 16:10
Samsung as my main monitor. I love it!

If you're thinking of moving to a widescreen (16:10 or 16:9*) LCD monitor, a 22"
would have a viewable screen height similar to the viewable height on your 19"
ViewSonic (multiplying screen size of a 4:3 by 1.22 will give you the
approximate widescreen size that has a similar height).

The viewable dimensions on my Samsung are about 20 3/8" wide by 12 3/4" high.

*HDTV screens are 16:9, but larger widescreen monitors are often 16:10. For
instance, my Samsung 24" native resolution is 1920x1200 pixels. Similar size
16:9 monitors are 1920x1080.

Larc