Old June 20th 07, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Stan[_2_]

Default AMD Processor Upgrade Advice... Please

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 06:40:16 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

There's 4 buses you need to be
concerned with when overclocking. The FSB, PCI bus, AGP bus, and memory
bus.

Okay, from what I see in my bios setup, I don't have access to all of
those.

Here is exactly what I have control over and what it is set to now (as
far as what I can find):

External Clock: 180 MHz (Was 166, 185 still bombs)
Multiplier Factor: 11.5
AGP Freq: 66 MHz
CPU FSB/DRAM Ratio: Auto (with options of 3/3 to 6/6)
CPU Core V: 1.65
DDR SDRAM V: 2.6
Chipset V: 1.6
AGP V: 1.5

There's really no question that the cpu will run easily at 2300MHz IMO.
it's just a matter of getting everything set up properly.

Well, I'm a bit of a dummy at this so if you would have the patience
to lead me by the hand through this and see about getting it running
at 2300, it would be appreciated.

BTW, lets cover temps here. I looked on the AMD site and can't seem
to find what my CPU's melt down temp would be. Right now, I have
three options I can set and what they are now set to:

CPU Over Temp Protect: 90c (Can be set from 65c to 90c)
CPU Warning Temp: 75c (Can be set to anything)
CPU Shutdown Temp: Disabled (Can be set from 60c to 75c)

What would you suggest these be set to if changed at all?

Also, after overclocking to 180 the CPU has gotten up to 129 deg f
while doing some movie file format conversions with it running around
112 deg f doing normal load stuff and 105 deg f sitting there idle.

Thanks in advance for any further help you might supply.

Stan