Old June 16th 07, 07:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

Default AMD Processor Upgrade Advice... Please

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:36:44 -0400, Stan wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:55:52 -0700, Greg Campbell
wrote:

Have youy tried overclocking your current setup?
An older NF7 should be able to run the frontside bus somehwere near
180MHz, mayby 185.

Okay, gave the overclocking a try (my first time). 185 turned out to
be disastrous. System went into a booting loop which I had to use DEL
to get out of and back into the bios to set it all back to where it
was before. Turned out after getting back to 166 and getting it
booted, I had a lot of corrupted system files. Have no idea why but
must have happened during the bootup loop it got caught in. I had a 3
week old Ghost backup so got the thing back to normal rather easily.

Now, two weeks later, I drummed up the guts to try it again but this
time at 180. Did a Ghost right before changing things this time! 180
seems to be working just fine. WCPUID reports that I went form an
internal clock speed of 1913 to 2084 MHz and the system bus bumped up
from 333 to 363MHz.

When you change the FSB speed you also alter all other bus speeds unless
your board is capable of locking them and you have them locked. When
overclocking always use a boot floppy or boot cd til you know everything
is stable. I use a memtest boot cd mostly. There's 4 buses you need to be
concerned with when overclocking. The FSB, PCI bus, AGP bus, and memory
bus.

If you've got a newer NF7, and capable memory, your CPU may well make it
to 200MHz FSB = 2300.

I guess I don't since the whole thing went to hell when set to 185.

That really doesn't mean anything. There's normally a 5 divider for the
PCI with the FSB at 166, making the PCI bus run at it's nominal speed of
33MHz. With the FSB at 185 (actually 185.85) and a 5 divider that puts the
PCI bus at 37.17 and the normal 66MHz of the AGP bus at 74.34. It also
increases the memory bus from 166MHz (assuming you were running 1:1) to
185MHz.

The reason I was wanting to boost this thing was because I have gotten
into converting video VOB files into AVI files so I can edit the video
files and compose my home movies. There are no VOB editing programs
out there so I have to convert. This takes a bunch of time, up to 1.5
hours for a full mini dvd disk full of recordings.

There's really no question that the cpu will run easily at 2300MHz IMO.
it's just a matter of getting everything set up properly.