Old June 2nd 07, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

Default AMD Processor Upgrade Advice... Please

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:46:49 -0400, Stan wrote:

Processor
Model: 1x AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
Code Name: Barton
Socket/Slot: Socket A (ZIF Socket)
Frequency: 1917 MHz
FSB Speed: 166 MHz
Voltage: 1.6 V
Is there a processor upgrade that will Plug-N-Play on my existing MB
and offer enough of a performance boost over what I now have to
justify the cost of the processor upgrade?

No, but if you can clock this barton core CPU to a higher speeds. Increase
the FSB to 200MHz and raise vcore to 1.65v. That will give you 2300MHz
easily without over stressing the cpu. that will give you a rated speed of
about a 3400+. Not a bad increase for nothing. If you need more power than
that, then the only alternative would be to replace the MB/CPU. Dual core
X2 Athlons are extremely inexpensive now. You can probably recoop most of
the upgrade cost of a new AM2 MB/CPU/RAM setup by selling your old setup
on ebay.