Old February 1st 04, 03:56 PM
Ice D

"Navid" wrote
"Ice D" wrote

I'm updating the BIOS on a new system with P4P800 deluxe mobo

tomorrow,
never flashed mobo BIOS before. I have a question about the method of
updating

First, keep in mind that many people recommend to flash the BIOS
if something is wrong with your computer. They say to leave it alone
if everything is fine.

That said, if you want to flash the 1014, Just create an XP MS-DOS
start-up disk by placing a floppy in the drive and right clicking on the
floppy drive on "My Computer" and selecting "Format".
In the new window that opens, select the startup disk choice and hit
"Start".
Then, copy the afudos and bios files to the same floppy.
With this floppy in the drive, reboot.
In DOS, type afudos with no arguments.
A message comes up giving you the correct syntax.
This time follow the syntax and place the name of the BIOS file in place
of filename. You do not need to rename anything.

Ok, that's the way I'm doing it. I've read somewhere that the correct syntax
is:

afudos /iP4P81014.AMI

Can you confirm that?

After you flash, you need to go into the BIOS and load the defaults
for the newly added settings to be initialized. Then, you can change the
settings the way you want.
The reason I flashed 1014 was to not get a beep for every connected
USB device at boot. I flashed, and it still beeped!
I loaded the defaults and it stopped beeping.

Thanks for the advive, I will load defaults right after I've flashed (those
beeps are my main reason to update as well, very annoying! ;-)

Ice D