Old July 7th 03, 02:38 AM
Strontium

While this may be true, the card will last for a while. Just as the GF3
Ti did/will. And, in addition, he will be able to take advantage of any
games that use DX9, that are released this X-Mas. I'm not sure any newer
architecture cards will be out, that soon. If there are, they will be
just as high-priced as the 9800, FX5900 are, now, anyway. So, he could've
waited for the price drop. Or, he could have a sweet card now. His
money.

-
neopolaris stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

By the time anything comes out to use those features, other cards
will take their place. I think you wasted your money considering
what you were using. A GF3 on a 2GHz+ machine is plenty. The rest
is icing though like you said.
"Thomas Jarboe" wrote in message
Why am I wondering this? Well, I wanted to know before I opened the
box to the ATI card. Well, I finally opened the box, installed the
9800 pro, and gotta say I love it. Battlefield 1942 really runs a
LOT smoother. And the reason I picked this over Nvidia cards is
PRICE. Nvidia Cards are WAY OVER PRICED IMHO. Sure, Geforce line
of cards are good. But When it comes down to price, the ATI 9800
pro was well worth my money. I'm sure I would have said the same
thing if I shelled out another $100 for the Nvidia equivalant. But
now I am a Really Happy camper.
Something I just noticed on Tech TV. They said both cards are almost
identical when it comes to graphics rendering, but none of the games
out right now take full advantage of these cards. So, finally after
many years of comuting/gaming, I feel I'm kinda of ahead of the game
this time. Tom

"NoRemorse" wrote in message
"Thomas Jarboe" wrote in message
I currently have a Geforce 4 ti 4200 se 128mb card. I just bought
a ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128mb and am wondering, is this a really
good card? Or should I have gone with a Geforce FX series card?
Thanks.
Tom

And why are you wondering this? Are your games not playing on the
new card? Are you having driver problems? NVidia fan boys bothering
you?

The 9800 pro and the FX 5900 are evenly matched. One can win some
benchmarks and the other can win other benchmarks. No significant
difference.

--
[This message has been transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.]

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really
ever there at all. And, I want to get free..."