Old October 15th 19, 06:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default DVI v DisplayPort

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 19:34:38 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Peter Johnson wrote:
I have a monitor connected to my PC using DVI ports on both. But the
monitor has DisplayPort capability. Would there be any advantage in
installing a video card with DisplayPort capability in the PC and
using DP instead of DVI?

For modest monitors, the three digital standards are
essentially all the same. If your DVI is working right now,
there'd be little point switching to DP as an experiment.

I think DP has the edge on highest res at the moment.
Maybe if you bought a brand new 8K monitor, you'd need
a new video card with the latest DP standard, to drive it.
A dual link DVI only goes up to 2560 x ? . That's an incentive
to change standards, when you're a rich guy and can afford
an 8K monitor.

Paul

They're all effectively "only the very highest-grade, graphic
workstation or gaming IPS monitors" now. Meaning, effectively,
nothing.

The difference is, between 24"-27" so-called IPS monitors, that
stratum is now being infiltrated by 32" monitors. I've had a 32"
since Day 1, which died some months ago and now is replaced by a 32"
model that cost a tenth what the first cost in the early days of LCDs
($1000/US early production runs).

What I know from this replacement procedure is I could have done a
damn sight better than the $129 I paid, say, up to a $200 leeway for
and within 32" monitors exclusively. The 32" unit increasingly (and
finally) is a competitively discounted item on sale monitor marketing,
nonetheless placed and still within a promotion for $500+
"professional-grade" IPS 32" monitors. It doesn't cost you your arm,
possibly a leg, to save to pay for your eyesight.

In my instance, it's programmers, I notice, who matter. What
programmers, contextual sorts, expect from being up close to a 32"
monitor is different from graphics designer expectations, or, from a
game applications, the gamer's standpoint.

And, they've surprising little to do with what $200 delivers on sales
of 32" monitors, being what advertising has in turn to promote from
what they'll actually provide. You sit in front of one then to make
your decisions. They're are no aesthetics, subjectively, that
substitute to qualify for expected standards. Then, you're looking at
what 32" means: Possibly a refurbished unit, usually somewhat limited
warranties, an update from an older graphic card, et. al.

Surprising, as well, how many of these present computer "specialty IPS
monitors", 32" (and below), still come equipped with a standard (S)VGA
cable connect, i.e., no-nonsense, straight-BIOS default CMOS
connectivity;- there's very few of those left, if at all, from in a
cross-over type "television" marketing on monitors with SVGA connects.

Mine, for $129, came with a fast courtesy return-shipping label at no
cost. It may be swishy-washy black-&-whites compared to a relatively
heavy and bulky 32" from a couple decades ago, but at least the seller
was kind enough to include a return shipping label and not mess
around. Screw it, I'm not driving, ordering all over, spending more
and adding up time or expenses to get it perfectly right;- I went
ahead and also bought the seller's extended 5-year warranty plan.

It's also the last television currently produced with a VGA
connection, purposes, for $129. Something changes, some things you
just have to look harder.