Old December 8th 18, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default is new memory incompatible? Why?

wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 6:01:08 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Hi,

I've acquired 2x4GB new memory from Crucial as I found it to be compatible with my PC(ASUS CM6850) on crucial.com.

It suggested `DDR3L-1600 UDIMM` and that is what I got (results slightly changed but still align:
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compa...#MEMORYFilters)

Now, I popped them into the two empty banks in my PC, turned it on, the fans spun up but both screens stayed black, I removed one bank, repeated the power up procedure but got the same result. I then removed both new banks and now it powered up again properly as it's supposed to.

Does this mean the memory I got is for some reason incompatible with my system?
Why?

Here's some images:
The label on my PC: http://gdurl.com/qN7c
The existing RAM on the main board: http://gdurl.com/vHcm
My new memory that I wanted to add: http://gdurl.com/rOee

There's a couple reasons it might not work.

1) You're mixing 1.35V with 1.5V RAM.

Try just the new modules inserted in the motherboard by themselves.

Sandy Bridge will likely run them at 1.5V anyway, but
the BIOS matching code might not like to find two different
voltage values listed.

2) You got a DIMM with 8 chips on one side and no chips on
the other side. These single-rank 5GB DDR3 DIMMS *could* constitute
high-density RAM for that platform. There may be insufficient
address bits for it to work.

What should happen in that case, is the amount of RAM detected
might end up wrong. The BIOS will always figure out the correct
amount, by using peek and poke probing. The BIOS doesn't rely
totally on the SPD chip on the DIMM for this info.

I have DDR3 8GB DIMMs, and there would be 4GB of chips on
either side. Something like that, might not work on a Sandy
Bridge properly. Maybe only 4GB are detected or something.

Anyway, try the DIMMs by themselves, before you send them back
and buy something else.

Paul