Old September 16th 06, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike Walsh

Default Does the addressable physical memory range depend on which slotsare occupied by the memory?

I have found this to be correct for modern motherboards using DIMMs. Some older motherboards using SIMMs were not so tolerant.

Lighter wrote:

Does the addressable physical memory range depend on which slots are
occupied by the memory?

Say, I have a 32-bit CPU and 128M RAM, and the motherboard has 4 slots
for plugging the RAM in.

My question is if the following statement is correct:

No matter which of the 4 slots is occupied by the RAM, CPU can always
address the physical address range from 0-128M. In other words, when
CPU reads/writes data from/to the address 0x000000FF, it will always
succeed, no matter which of the 4 slots is occupied by the RAM.

Is this correct? Any help will be appreciated.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.