Old April 6th 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Which Dell desktops ship with Windows XP Home Edition?

AFAIK, they just changed it recently. I think the original statement was
one year, but they've modified that due to public pressure.

One thing that I think didn't change is that the seemingly current OS of
choice (MCE) is in the same boat as XP Home, since it's considered a
consumer product, as opposed to business. So there's really no reason why
a manufacturer would go with one over the other WRT to support from MS.
Again, I'm assuming that Vista will have an MCE flavor. If it's going to
take an extra year to the the MCE version out, then that should extend the
support for XP MCE by an extra year as well.

BTW, as far as the OP goes, I'd give them a phone call, and see if you can
configure things as you desire.

Clint

"PDR" wrote in message

"Clint" wrote in message
Don't know what your definition of "shortly" is, but we're talking about
3 years. Vista's supposed to be out early 2007 (last I heard, and
assuming they make their deadline), and mainstream support for XP Home
will end 2 years after that. As an FYI, that's the same cut-off scenario
as XP MCE, assuming that Vista has an MCE flavour.

Fair enough - I misunderstood what I had read elsewhere. Apols for the
confusion.

PDR