Old January 12th 04, 05:35 AM
David Maynard

noob wrote:
"David Maynard" wrote in message

Got it, thanks!! I found a web reference here
http://www.dualcpu.jp/fcpga-pin.html
There doesn't seem to be much material on the web about this.....

It's on old 'trick' that originated with the slot-1 celerons, except it

was

easier to tape the connector pin than it is to isolate the same thing on
the PPGA and FC-PGA chip carrier. It's not 'common' now because most third
party 'modern' motherboards provide some way to do it, with either the

BIOS

or jumpers, and I'm a bit surprised that the MSI doesn't.

I wonder if I should go ahead and raise the vCore while I'm at it?

It's likely you'll need a bit of a Vcore boost.

Odds are it'll run 112 MHz FSB too, assuming you have memory that'll do

it.

Mine made it to 120Mhz FSB for 1020.

What voltage did you run yours at?

I don't remember now. The general 'feeling' in the overclock community is
that up to 15% over nominal is 'safe'.

Mine seems to have been one of the 'lucky' ones as some people had problems
getting them to even 900 (rare) but 850 was pretty much a 'can't miss'
proposition.

I'm running a spare Vantec Aeroflow on it, so it should have plenty of
cooling.

What do you recommend for isolating the pin? Any ideas?

Well, there are a number of 'ideas' that have been promulgated. One is to
'paint' it with either nail polish or super glue. The one I remember

seeing

was to use the bottom end of a ball-point pen, the guts removed, fill it
with the 'paint' and then slide it over the pin so it gets coated. I've
never tried that so lord knows if it works, or simply slops goop all over
everything. Another is to wallow out the CPU socket, so there's more room,
and then slide a real thin insulation, like stripped from a wire wrap

wire,

over the processor pin before inserting it into the socket. Another I saw
was to remove the socket top, cut a small piece of tape and insert it in
the contact in the socket, and then put the top back on. The idea with
these is to leave the processor 'like new' to save the warrantee and avoid
a 'boo-boo' destroying it (although if one 'boo-boos' on wallowing out the
wrong socket pin you've ruined the motherboard so it's not 'risk free'

either).

I take the direct approach and simply break the appropriate pin off the
chip carrier but you're screwed if you go cross-eyed and break off the
wrong one, although P2B in here seems to have mastered some form of

voo-doo

that enabled him to actually solder pins back on one of his. Seems

unlikely

to me that mere mortals should count on replicating that feat, though.

A variation on that would be to buy an adapter socket and break the pin

off

of it rather than the processor but with FC-PGA celerons, up to 700Mhz,
going for under 25 bucks it's not much cheaper to replace in the event of

'boo-boo' and it adds the up front cost of the socket even without a
'boo-boo'. On the other hand, maybe one of the adapters has a jumper

inside

it to isolate the pin. I haven't checked for that since, as I mentioned, I
do the direct pin break.

Thanks! I think I'll go for the pin break. I don't think I'd go wrong
with it, and if I did, I'd prolly save a lot of stress & mess w/ mods by
just getting another Celly for under $25, like you say.

That's pretty much my thinking, except for sweating bullets while I check
and recheck it 500 times.