Old January 12th 04, 01:19 AM
David Maynard

noob wrote:
"David Maynard" wrote in message

noob wrote:

"~misfit~" wrote in message

noob wrote:

I have a MSI MS-6368 mobo that I've installed a 566 celeron in.

Is that a coppermine celly?

However, the only options in the BIOS (Award V.6) are to increase FSB
to 68/34 or 75/37. How can I get this sucker to 100Mhz FSB?

By jumper perhaps? However, if it isn't a coppermine and there is no
facility for raising the vcore then you have no chance.

This is a fairly new BIOS (dated last summer), but I'm disappointed
in its overclocking options.

Anyone have any suggestions??

A lot depends on what revision your mobo is. That board came out in

several

different flavours ranging from 1.0 revision through to 5.x and they

vary

considerably in what they are capable of.

It's version 5.

Ok, just done some home-work, it has to be a coppermine celly as the

board

doesn't support earlier CPUs. MSI state that the board supports a FSB of
66/100/133 so I'm assuming it'll be by jumper. If you don't have the

manual

and want to download it go he

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...ail.php?UID=21

No jumpers available. Only jumpers on the board are for clearing CMOS

and

enabling front audio ports.

In the BIOS, under Frequency/Voltage control, there are three options:
1. Autodetect DIMM/PCI clock (enabled or disabled)
2. Spread Spectrum (enabled or disabled)
3. CPU Host / PCI clock (default, 66/33, 68/34, 75/37)

MSI says it automatically detects CPU clock (which is 66Mhz).... maybe
that's why it isn't letting me go to 100Mhz FSB? Maybe MSI's allowed
overclock is limited to 14% or something weird like that....

This seems to be a common 'feature' of some BIOS versions. For some reason
they get it into their head no one would want to encroach on the next
legitimate FSB so the only options they allow are 'up to' the next
'automatic' setting. In your case, whatever FSB choices they have

available

up to 100 MHz FSB, since that's the next 'legitimate' one.

My chaintechs do the same thing but, as irritating as it is, they at least
have the FSB jumpers to over-ride the CPU.

Would raising the vCore change what MSI sees as the CPU clock or allows

for

overclocking? I can raise it to 1.75v by wrapping a coupla pins on the
processor.

Changing Vcore isn't going to make it 'think' it's a different processor.
The BSel pins on the processor tell the motherboard what FSB to run at and
that's what it will run at unless the BIOS has some option to over-ride

it.

What you need to do is isolate the Bsel0 pin (AJ33) so it goes high and
tells the motherboard it wants 100 MHz FSB.

Got it, thanks!! I found a web reference here
http://www.dualcpu.jp/fcpga-pin.html
There doesn't seem to be much material on the web about this.....

It's on old 'trick' that originated with the slot-1 celerons, except it was
easier to tape the connector pin than it is to isolate the same thing on
the PPGA and FC-PGA chip carrier. It's not 'common' now because most third
party 'modern' motherboards provide some way to do it, with either the BIOS
or jumpers, and I'm a bit surprised that the MSI doesn't.

I wonder if I should go ahead and raise the vCore while I'm at it?

It's likely you'll need a bit of a Vcore boost.

Odds are it'll run 112 MHz FSB too, assuming you have memory that'll do it.
Mine made it to 120Mhz FSB for 1020.

I'm running a spare Vantec Aeroflow on it, so it should have plenty of
cooling.

What do you recommend for isolating the pin? Any ideas?

Well, there are a number of 'ideas' that have been promulgated. One is to
'paint' it with either nail polish or super glue. The one I remember seeing
was to use the bottom end of a ball-point pen, the guts removed, fill it
with the 'paint' and then slide it over the pin so it gets coated. I've
never tried that so lord knows if it works, or simply slops goop all over
everything. Another is to wallow out the CPU socket, so there's more room,
and then slide a real thin insulation, like stripped from a wire wrap wire,
over the processor pin before inserting it into the socket. Another I saw
was to remove the socket top, cut a small piece of tape and insert it in
the contact in the socket, and then put the top back on. The idea with
these is to leave the processor 'like new' to save the warrantee and avoid
a 'boo-boo' destroying it (although if one 'boo-boos' on wallowing out the
wrong socket pin you've ruined the motherboard so it's not 'risk free' either).

I take the direct approach and simply break the appropriate pin off the
chip carrier but you're screwed if you go cross-eyed and break off the
wrong one, although P2B in here seems to have mastered some form of voo-doo
that enabled him to actually solder pins back on one of his. Seems unlikely
to me that mere mortals should count on replicating that feat, though.

A variation on that would be to buy an adapter socket and break the pin off
of it rather than the processor but with FC-PGA celerons, up to 700Mhz,
going for under 25 bucks it's not much cheaper to replace in the event of a
'boo-boo' and it adds the up front cost of the socket even without a
'boo-boo'. On the other hand, maybe one of the adapters has a jumper inside
it to isolate the pin. I haven't checked for that since, as I mentioned, I
do the direct pin break.

Right now, I have it running at 8.5x75 for 638Mhz. I understand most

folks

are running these at 8.5x100 for 850Mhz. I'd like to know how to get

it

to run at 100Mhz with this MSI mobo.... maybe time for an email to MSI
(doubt they'll help, though).