Old July 30th 03, 09:10 PM
w_tom

Default Power Supply on its way out?

A more accurate method of determining an undersized or
slowly failing power supply is to use the 3.5 digit
multimeter. Measurements made to wires as listed in chart in:
http://www.hardwaresite.net/faqpowersupply.html

An under powered power supply will see voltages drop to or
below limits. If critical power supply voltages (3.3, 5, and
12) are in the lower quarter of acceptable limits, then the
power supply may be slowly failing - ie electrolytic filter
capacitors are starting to fail.

Using a meter in combination with what ric has posted can
also demonstrate an under powered or slowly failing supply.
Take voltage measurements. Then power down and remove from
power unessential components such as sound card, extra disk
drives, modem, etc. If voltage returns to limits of that
chart, then power supply is probably running on its maximum
edge - either because it was undersized or because it is
slowly failing. There is no quicker tool to answer your
question than that so inexpensive 3.5 digit multimeter. Tool
so ubiquitous and inexpensive as to be sold in Sears, Home
Depot, Radio Shack, etc. Tool that is essential to reliable
computer maintenance.

Nick wrote:

Sometimes when I switch my PC on it switches off after about 1 second. When
I do it again it works as normal. Is this a sign the power supply is about
to burn out?

--
Nick