Old January 30th 04, 09:49 PM
Paul L

"Stephen B" wrote in message
kony wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 03:40:27 GMT, "Paul L"
wrote:

hard drives don't beep

Philo, nice tip, didn't help my notebook HD, though

Yes they do... been there, done that
Some drives do, when there's a problem. I've examined one that did,
it didn't have a speaker, so I can only assume the bearings were
making a sound identical to a beep... it really did sound like an
electronic beeper, not a squealing noise or anything like that.

I have a drive that chirps on cold boot for a few moments. It was making

me
crazy for quite some time. It's in a removable cage awaiting format and

testing
and isn't being used. I plugged it in the other day and sure enough, it
chirped/beeped on cold boot power up. So they can and do beep.

-steve

Hey, you learn something new every day. I've had maxtors, they never beeped
but then again a 200gb is newer than mine