Old January 30th 04, 03:11 PM
Jeff

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:33:25 GMT, kony wrote:

Yes they do... been there, done that
Some drives do, when there's a problem. I've examined one that did,
it didn't have a speaker, so I can only assume the bearings were
making a sound identical to a beep... it really did sound like an
electronic beeper, not a squealing noise or anything like that.

As a hobby I fly electric powered radio controlled model airplanes.
Many of the microprocessor based speed controls for these planes make
the motor chirp when they are connected to the battery. Then they emit
two chirps to signal that they are getting a proper signal from the
transmitter and are now armed (watch out for that propellor!) These are
intentional chirps generated by the microprocessor switching the motor
on and off rapidly. The sound is emitted by the coils of the motor.

My guess is that the beeps from the hard drive are also intentional and
signal some kind of fault, similar to the beeps from a motherboard that
fails during boot-up.

Jeff