Old January 30th 04, 12:53 AM
philo

"Max" wrote in message
. 165...
I purchased this 200GB Maxtor harddrive in Nov. 2003. It ran fine, and I
had no problem with it using the ATA133 PCI card that came with it. But
just this past weekend, when I turn on my computer's power, the hard
drive started beeping! Yeah.. how weird is that?! XP won't recognize it,
and the ATA133 PCI card won't recognize it. Well, here's what I did so
far:

1. unplug the IDE cable, and just left the power plugged in, and powered
up my system, the drive started beeping pattern, and I made sure the
sound wasn't coming from the motherboard (I didn't bother hooking up a pc
speaker). The beeping didn't stop until XP booted up.

2. plugged the hard drive into a different power supply, and it did the
same thing.

3. Plugged the hard drive into a different box (my linux box) and it
play the same stupid tone.

If you know what is going on with this hard drive, or have some
suggestions, please let share it. It would be interesting to see what
the problem is. Many thanks in advance!!

I've tried this many times on failed drives...
and though it usually does not work...I had success once

I put the drive in my freezer for an hour then put it back in the machine
and got it to work long enough to recover the data