Old July 10th 10, 05:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

Default Marginal OEM Power Supply

On Jul 9, 6:56*pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:

That's one of the reasons I'm looking at an i7-930 and Asus m/b for a hosting
system, I can get to 12GB with cheap memory. On the other hand, the i7-875
unlocked is cheap and allows o/c by use of multiplier. But no cheap memory
there, need 4GB parts. I'm tempted to build a host machine with Xeons and ECC
memory, slightly more reliable and all, but I think slower.

Lots of ways to go, each with a drawback. :-(

I was just as happy that the i-7 920 slipped through the oddities of
Intel's market segmentation strategies. When the chip had just come
out, I saw a geek buying the parts to build a computer for a chess
competition. Who else buys machines with these chips? I can use the
memory bandwidth, but, for most, the triple channel arrangement is
overkill. All you really want is the extra memory slots. Just glad
to have it, wish 4GB sticks weren't so expensive.

Robert.